Today I wanted to experiment with doing some cloning photography to learn the ropes. (Click the image for more detail). An overcast sky meant I didn’t have to worry too much about strong, moving shadows. Four attempts at the shot later I ended up with what you see above. The others, while more tightly framed, required more cooperation from the kids. Despite showing them example photos prior to the shoot to get their excitement up, things fell apart when instruction started. This meant several shots were nothing but pouting, reluctant children.
Taking a step back with a wider framing and instead of instruction, doing games, changed the story entirely. Now they were running around, having fun and playing like I wanted them to. This made the rest of the shoot easy and then the post-process time. Combining the shots together was pretty straightforward. Now I’m thinking about something more interesting I could try with this cool, even if faddish, technique.